Call for Proposals: Composing Music for Animated Film
Deadline: Dec 15, 2023
The Scarborough Philharmonic Orchestra (SPO) is issuing a call for proposals for early career and advanced student composers wanting to write music for animated film.
Four composers will be selected to write music for animated short films created by students of world-renowned Sheridan College Bachelor of Animation program.
During the writing process, each selected applicant will be paired with an experienced film composer who acts as a mentor: helping with advice on spotting the film; choosing the synthesized instrumentation; writing the music; recording and synchronization to picture.
Participants will also be supported and advised by SPO music director Ronald Royer and will also take part in an orientation meeting to discuss the logistics of synchronizing to video.
Completed animation scores will be published on the SPO’s YouTube channel from April to July 2024.
Composers can also apply for the SPO’s New Generation Composer’s Project, writing for female voice and piano. If a composer applies for and gets accepted into both programs, they will need to choose one. Composers will not be able to participate in both programs in the same year.
- The project is open to early-career and student composers who are Canadian citizens and permanent residents, aged 18 to 35.
- The program is focused on Canada-based composers. Composers can be involved in-person or online.
- Composers are not required to have prior film scoring experience.
- Composers must be equipped with a suitable computer, scoring software such as a Digital Audio Workstation (DAW) or notation software, and sample libraries or software synthesizers.
- Examples of suitable software include:
- DAW – Cubase; Logic; Digital Performer; FL Studio; Reaper;
- Notation: Sibelius, Finale, or Dorico (all with NotePerformer)
- Sample Libraries: g. Vienna Symphonic Library, Spitfire BBC Orchestra, Orchestral Tools Layers, and many others.
About the SPO New Generation Film Composer’s program:
- Animated films from graduates of the Sheridan College Animation program will be provided for scoring purposes. The films are between one and four minutes long and will be provided to participants as MP4 video files. Note that these video files cannot be used outside this program and cannot be shared with others except through the SPO’s Youtube channel.
- Scored music can include orchestral instruments (via the appropriate sample library), electronic/digital instruments, musique concrete or any other sounds deemed appropriate.
- Selected composers are expected to participate in a minimum of two mentorship meetings. Additional mentorship sessions can be arranged.
- Composers are encouraged to listen and view previously scored films on the SPO’s Youtube channel in the Animated Films Playlist.
- Completed Application Form (see below)
- CV or Resume: Attach a PDF file focusing on your composition activity, including any film-scoring related projects. Be sure to include a valid email address and other appropriate contact information.
- Two examples of your music: Recordings of two pieces must be submitted. These may be of music alone or music scored to picture.
- Live performance or MIDI recordings are both acceptable.
- Acceptable File formats are:
- MP3 recordings (audio only).
- MP4 video files (for audio and video).
- Links to streaming services such as SoundCloud for audio and Youtube for video are also acceptable. Please ensure that the link is valid for at least one month following the deadline.